In a recent survey conducted by BL.INK, users reported a large amount of their online traffic came from Ashburn, Virginia. This may make sense for users located in Virginia, but even those located in other states with no connection to this small town were getting traffic from there.
So, what is the big deal about Ashburn? As it turns out, this town located approximately 34 miles outside of Washington D.C. is the home to numerous large technology centers. A few examples include Amazon.com, Time Warner, Microsoft, and several cloud service providers. In fact, this area is home to more telecom and satellite businesses than anywhere else in the world!
Ashburn, located in Loudoun County, Virginia, is commonly referred to as the Data Center Capital of the World. Even though most of us refer to data as being stored in “the cloud,” a physical location is necessary to house the networked system of servers in a data center. It has been estimated that 70% of all internet traffic flows through Ashburn daily.
Why Was Ashburn Chosen?
There were many practical factors that led to Ashburn being selected as the perfect place for internet expansion. Below are a few examples:
- Reasonable Land Costs. Ashburn had mostly rural land that was available at reasonable prices. Today, the cost has dramatically increased due to the ideal location for data centers.
- Lower Cost of Electricity. Interestingly, electricity costs 20% less in Ashburn than the natural average. As you might imagine, giant data centers use a lot of electricity, and this amount is increasing exponentially as more data centers are built.
- Located Near Water. The Potomac River is about an hour’s drive from Ashburn and municipal access to water for cooling needs.
- Fiber Access. The area has redundant fiber optic loops providing high-speed connectivity to companies in the region.
- Location. Ashburn is located close to the nation’s capital, making it an ideal location for developing digital campuses with growing interconnectivity.
- Government Benefits. The Virginia and local governments recognized the economic opportunities that would accompany the internet data centers, so tax cuts and other incentives were offered to the large companies if they built in Ashburn.
Should You Care Where Clicks Come From?
If you are wondering why it matters where clicks come from, tracking this statistic helps you understand what content users are interested in and where those users are located. This information can be used to focus your online efforts to your engaged audience. Additionally, this data allows you to optimize the language and time zones where you have the most engagement, and to change these factors if your targeted audience is not engaged.
How The Rainmaker Institute Can Help
Your digital presence – particularly your website – is crucial in generating and converting leads. f you want to learn more about where your clicks come from, we can help! You have worked hard to get where you are, so learn to use technology to your advantage so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor more often while also generating new clients!
The Rainmaker Institute handles your legal marketing so you can focus on lawyering. We will provide content that contains top legal focus keywords, proper page titles, appropriate meta descriptions, target length of content, and images that will boost your attractiveness to Google. In short, we will make great content.
If you are ready to take your law firm to the next level and see your Google ranking improve, we can help. Whether you choose to attend one of our live events or you want a free, confidential consultation, we are here to help!